March 26, 2008

An Incomplete piece

I am very inquisitive by nature,especially when it comes to my future.I was born in a community which gives a lot of importance to the horoscope and related stuff.From the very first day somebody is born,a record on his/her name is made,much before the birth registration.'The Horoscope'.Irrespective of class or education it is a common scenario.A handbook of 'How your life is going to be'.A 'Help' file to guide you all your life.where fate is more important not our faith.
I always wanted to read the pink little book my Amma used to take out of our Cupboard whenever we had serious issues in our life.As a child I thought it might be some kind of a magic book when some magician opens would solve our problems.
When I grew up I became more interested in this book.I started reading more about astrology and felt that there was something true about it.Like some statical confidence intervals it can indeed can give you prediction intervals with 0-100% confidence intervals.I started subscribing to daily horoscopes and became a regular visitor to astrology.com
And there came the phase in my life when my friends started telling me that the 'palm and face reading' I used to do for fun had good amount of truth in it.Intuition thats all I said,or may be I am too good at bluffing.Honestly I don't know the significance of even a single line in the Palm,but somehow I became a famous face reader and palm reader amongst my friends in college and family.:)But my very first visit to an astrologer just to ask him the answer to one single question.Though he wasn't successful in giving me the right answer to that,he asked me if I do something like palm reading.I was dazed,it was something only a few people knew..I was so happy that day because I thought his other prediction would also come true,which never did...
Is there a truth in astrology??I do believe that there is.But may be we run after astrologers only when we have troubles in life and completely ignore this when we are in the problem free state.
There were couple instances when I decided I am going to throw away my horoscope and bitched all the astrologers!!But still I couldn't throw it away!But I still am very much into the whole thing which make me more pessimistic in life.I know this would hurt some of my very close friends who tried to convince me that the whole thing is bogus,just to make me more optimistic.
When certain things the astrologers predict don't come true our frustrations cross the limits.Is it because we think they are the life saviours or is it because we wanted this little book to tell us that we are not going to be affected by anything on earth??
I started this post with some other intentions in my mind.But I guess the stars above me are not in the right position or may be I started this post in the 'Rahu kalam'..I am not able to continue this anymore ..:)

2 comments:

Ajith Prasad Balakrishnan said...

It is not bogus, though there are many aspects in it which are bogus..
Astrology and astronomy emerged as parallel, but complementary sciences in ancient India , wherein, the astronomical positions of stars and planets were supposed to be a critical input to astrology..
But for some reason, the astronomical positions of these celestial bodies were not updated..In other words, the planet positions that many of our jyothishis refer to are based on their positions about 2000 + years ago, which have actually changed. . Consequently , even if they have had a logical basis back then, it is largely diluted now..Add to that, whatever numerous astrologers preach about it..
--
From personal experiences, I can say that, nothing is pre-defined.. but certain 'yogams' of tough times/roadblocks etc have actually come true..
But just because u have something in horoscope doesnt mean that it'll come true..Certain forces that may lead to that particular thing might come. But definitely, man has the power to alter most of them :)

Anonymous said...

phew! thats a treatise by itself.